Stomach pain is not always easy to self-diagnose. The truth is —abdominal pain can be caused by many factors. Common mild abdominal pain is often associated with constipation, gas, overeating and stress. These pains usually go away as quickly as they come on. However, persistent abdominal pain that does not go away may be caused by a major problem involving one of the organs in the abdomen. Digestive problems are considered the most common cause of abdominal pain.
Call your doctor if you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain or discomfort that lasts for several days
- Abdominal pain accompanied by fever
- Bloating that persists for more than 2 days
- Abdominal pain during pregnancy
- The abdomen is tender to the touch
- Abdominal pain accompanied by unexplained weight loss
- Pain is the result of an injury to the abdomen
Severe abdominal pain should never be ignored. If you have severe pain that won’t go away, call 9-1-1 and ask to be taken to the Emergency Department at Portneuf Medical Center.
If you’re unsure about your abdominal pain, call our Primary Care team today to schedule an appointment and discuss what options might be right for you. To schedule an appointment, call 208-239-3815