Cardiac Rehab is a medically supervised program offering exercise, education, and support for those who have experienced a cardiac event. The program is designed to assist in controlling cardiac symptoms and reduces the risk of sudden death, another heart attack, or other heart issues.
Housed within Pocatello Cardiology, our certified Cardiac Rehab Program adheres to the Gold standard set by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Our patients receive personalized assessments and exercise programs based on a risk factor formula in regards to their nutritional, psychosocial well-being, educational needs and exercise capacity.
How do you begin the program?
- Get a referral from your primary care physician, cardiologist, or surgeon.
- Contact the Cardiac Rehab staff at 239-3609.
What are the Benefits of Cardiac Rehab?
- Reduced risk of future heart problems
- Improved quality of life
- Increased energy levels and endurance
- Reduced stress
- Camaraderie and support from other participants who have faced similar challenges
Who Benefits from Cardiac Rehab?
- Anyone who has had any of the following heart problems or procedures:
- Open heart surgery / bypass surgery
- Stable angina / chest pain
- Heart attack
- Valve replacement
- Angioplasty / stent placement
- Congestive heart failure
Each participant receives personalized attention from our professional rehabilitation team. Your team includes a licensed physical therapists, assistants and/or exercise physiologists, together, they monitor and track progression each step of the way. Hospital physicians are also nearby should any complications arise.
Education on lifestyle changes is geared to help the participant get healthy and stay healthy after having heart problems.
Classes offer information on the following:
- Heart disease and risk factors
- Stress management
Cardiac rehab is an aerobic exercise program. Sessions occur three times per week for four to eight weeks. Each exercise session lasts about 1–1½ hours. During the exercise session, our qualified staff will closely monitor:
- heart rate
- heart rhythm
- blood pressure
- oxygen levels
The participant will also be given personal exercise guidelines and our trained staff can assist in adopting a healthier lifestyle to improve the participant’s overall heart health. A variety of exercise equipment and heart monitors are included in the rehabilitation program.
Each participant is provided with:
- Knowledge, skills, and behaviors that will lead to improved cardiovascular function
- Increased ability to exercise
- Improved ability to perform everyday activities
- A monitored exercise program to return to activities safely
- Education to help make lifestyle changes that can help prevent future cardiac events
Once you have completed our Outpatient Cardiac Rehab Program (Phase 2), we offer an ongoing maintenance exercise program (Phase 3). The focus of this program is to prevent future heart problems, promote weight loss, and improve overall health. There is a nominal fee for this program because insurance companies do not usually cover Phase 3.
The fee is comparable to local gym memberships, but we also provide medical supervision and one-on-one assistance if needed. Open sessions occur five times per week, with access to familiar equipment and trained staff available to handle medical emergencies.
Please call us at (208) 239-3609 for more information.