Scheduling Your Surgery
We start preparing for your surgery well before the actual day. A registered nurse (RN) from Portneuf will call you the day before your scheduled surgery. Calls usually start at 2:30 pm. If you have not heard from us by 4pm the day before your surgery, you are welcome to call us at 208-239-2946.
During this call, the Registered Nurse will give you further instructions including time and location of surgery and will answer any questions you may have at that time.
The nurse may also take the time to:
• Review your health history
• Confirm that all tests ordered by physician have been completed
• Review pre-op instructions
• Inform you of the arrival time which is two hours before your surgery start time (this is often different than the time given at the doctor’s office)
Plan on NOTHING to EAT or DRINK after midnight the night before your surgery unless in-structed otherwise.
If you end up with a cold before your surgery date, please call the surgeons office as soon as possible as we may need to evaluate you and possibly re¬schedule. If unforeseen circumstances make it impossible for you to keep your scheduled surgery time, it is important to contact us immediately as much planning has gone in to providing world class care every patient every time.
You may also receive a call from our Admissions department with some of the following information:
Day of Surgery
Where to go
Enter the main entrance to the hospital; by the waterfall and piano. Head to the right of the information desk heading toward the outpatient lab area. There is an elevator with a sign for surgery. Go up to the first floor (1F) head to the left. This is where you will register for your surgery – signs read “Same Day Surgery.”
- Check in with one of our admissions staff personnel
- Soon after check-In, you will be greeted by our staff and taken to a patient room
- You may be asked to change into a gown and an IV may be placed in your arm
- Before your procedure, you will speak with your doctor, an anesthesiologist or CRNA and the nurse who will be present for your procedure
- Your procedure start time is an estimate. If we anticipate any delays, we will keep you and family updated
During Your Procedure
For Surgical Patients we ask that friends and family members wait the surgical waiting area on the first floor. The surgical staff will keep them informed and your physician will contact them there when surgery is over. Click for more about our visiting hours and waiting areas.
After Your Procedure
- Recovery times vary depending on your procedure and how well you are doing after the procedure
- You will be taken to recovery where a nurse will monitor you for approximately one to two hours
- Your support person will be able to join you at some point in the post-recovery area
- If you’re being admitted: your support person(s) may be with you in your hospital room
- You are required to have a responsible adult drive you home and it is recommended that someone be available to help you for the first 24 to 48 hours
- AT HOME INSTRUCTIONS will be reviewed before discharge. The person helping you at home will need to listen and understand these instructions. It is important that these instructions are understood and followed. Written instructions will be provided and explained.
Follow Up Call
- You may receive a follow up call after your surgery to discuss your experience at Portneuf Medical Center. If you have questions or concerns please call 208-239-2946.