Think Plan Act to reach your goalsAmy Kramer, MPH, RD, LD Welcome to 2018! Are you one of the millions that made a resolution for the New Year? Hopefully you are able to successfully implement and maintain these goals. If your goals include a healthy lifestyle such as physical activity and well balanced diet, try these tips:
- Make the resolution/goal realistic by avoiding setting yourself up for failure. Allow yourself enough time to accomplish small changes and/or goals. Your habits likely did not evolve overnight so why expect that changes will?
- Brace yourself for obstacles and 'off' days. Remember you can start over the next day so don’t throw in the towel or beat yourself up.
- Set a schedule and stick with it. This will require self-discipline and accountability. If you do not have someone to share the journey with, a food or activity journal can help you document your progress.
- Find a partner to join you. Friends, family, smart phone application communities, or even your pet (if you have a dog they will love joining you on a walk!) can be part of your team.
- Do not skip activity. If you are sore, try something with less impact such as walking or swimming.
- Do not skip meals. Skipping meals can often lead to overindulging at the next one or worse, if done too often, your body can be confused and alter its metabolism making weight loss even more difficult.
- Avoid focusing on just a number for weight. How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel?
- Be sure to stay hydrated! Thirst can be mistaken for hunger and it can help with muscle recovery.
- Stay positive, while easier said than done, it is important to remember lasting results take time and if you are able to make this a lifestyle then you won’t have to make it a resolution for the next year!